6.23.2011

Deaf Wish- Mercy

Deaf Wish- Mercy

Whenever I turn on one of my many music-playing devices, I always find myself reverting back to certain themes.  The past few years have been immersed in the music from "Down Under".  Deaf Wish is a Melbourne-based post-punk band has significantly altered the Australian "punk" scene for the better. This is the responsible older brother to the Eddy Current and UV Race crew, although I think that they share a member from time to time. Each song has its own personality, sensual at times with the return of their intoxicating female vocalist. These harmonies intertwine perfectly with the wall of sound guitar parts that could easily be the result of Sonic Youth and Wire making love.

This record is a grower, not a shower.  When I first heard this record, I wasn't quite sure what I thought of it. I knew that I liked it. I knew that it was extraordinary in the world of Vice Magazine garage rock, but I couldn't exactly stand confidently behind it.  Maybe I thought it was not defined enough, that it was a record with no actual personality.  In the months since that first listen though, I realize that those are the things I am so drawn to this record.  The romance and calm of "Not by Myself" can stand shoulder to shoulder with the silly "VHS and Cheese", a song that could easily be heard on an East Coast DIY comp.  These two songs could be written by completely different bands they are so disparate in style.  Some bands would take these two songs and hide one at the beginning of the album, or maybe meekishly make the sullen song close the album out.  Deaf Wish takes this notion and disregards it; throwing these two songs back to back in the heart of the album.

More and more I find myself liking albums that are all over the place, stylistically and theme wise.  At this point, I would posthumously add this to my best of 2010 list with conviction. I am envious of any band with this much diversity and depth, and this record is not to be missed.



Link after the jump... 
Radio Records Melbourne, 2010. 280 Kbps
http://www.mediafire.com/?p964dpjagf2ddqv

No comments:

Post a Comment